Thursday, April 29, 2010

I Hit My 10 lb Goal!!!

This morning I peed, disrobed and stepped on the scale like I do every day of my life as of late and could not believe my eyes!  I had hit my 10 lb milestone within 45 days of starting to eat Paleo!  I have lost these 10 lbs with ease and without hunger, cravings or feeling like I have sacraficed a good time with family or friends.  In contrast, I feel more satiated and like I have more variety and choices in the foods I eat than when I was a vegetarian.  I feel certain that I will be able to maintain my diet of meat, vegetables, fruit, seeds and nuts sans dairy, grains, legumes, and sugar to lose the next 10 lbs and beyond that goal as an ongoing way of eating.

In addition to the weight loss, I truly believe that the Paleo way of eating has been healing to my body.  I no longer have joint pain and swelling in my right pinky finger, I no longer have swelling or water retention in my body, I have more energy, have lost fat, gained muscle and have become stronger.  I swear that my skin color has actually even improved and my gut seems happy and healthy.

I will wait to have my annual physical for this year until I complete the Spartan 300 Challenge on June 26th.  I am curious to compare last year's blood work results when I was vegetarian, just running and doing yoga to the my new Paleo, Crossfit and hopefully by that time 15 lb lighter body.

This Friday night I am joining a group of girlfriends for our monthly Gathering of the Goddesses dinner.  The hostess sent out the menu earlier this week and it includes dishes with dairy, grains and sugar.  I am still working on a game plan for that.  I have not had a craving for any of those foods and would not feel deprived if I did not eat everything on the menu.  My worry is that I will insult my hostess or isolate myself socially.  I am contemplating three choices for that meal: just being polite and eating what I am served,  preparing an extra dish to share with the group, or just eating the dishes that are most in-line with Paleo.  I have always been the weirdo of the bunch when it comes to food so this really shouldn't be an issue at this point but I still feels a bit hesitant to explain this new way of eating to everyone.

Yesterday was Day 3 of R&R week.  Just like Monday I hit the trail for a short 3 mile run.  I am glad to report that it was better than Monday's run and I actually was able to relax and enjoy the slower pace I commited to.  Again I ended my run at Pure Austin for a quick, light Crossfit inspired kettlebell workout.  I used a 25 lb kb for 15 sumo deadlift high pulls, 15 lunges holding the kb and 21 kettlebell swings for 3 rounds total.  I felt strong and energized as I walked home from the gym.

My fuel was as follows:

Breakfast 8:00 a.m.
3 egg whites
1/2 c chopped green peppers and onions
1/4 c chopped baby bella shrooms

Snack 10:30 a.m.
1/2 Chocolate Hazelnut Larabar

Lunch 12:00 p.m.
3 oz oven baked salmon
salad of field greens, spinach, beets, carrots, pineapple

Snack 4:00 p.m.
1/2 c canteloupe
1 oz prosciutto

Dinner 8:30 p.m.
Shrimp ceviche with cucumbers, avocados, tomato and peppers
1/4 c Coconut Bliss Dark Chocolate

2 comments:

  1. Congrats my dear! It's amazing how much swelling/joint pain/etc is affected by grain/gluten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! 10 down and 10 to go :-) My friend Mandy who does pain management on people with chronic pain says that dairy causes inflammation as well and that she recommends that her patients cut it out also.

    ReplyDelete