Wednesday, April 28, 2010

R&R Days 1 & 2

With Crossfit Central closed for a week of R&R, I decided to get in an extra run and a light Crossfit inspired workout on Monday and Wednesday.  I typically run 4 miles but in honor of the whole R&R thing, I decided to run 3. 

My plan was to take it easy and just run for the pleasure of getting outdoors, enjoying the sunshine and moving my body.  In theory this sounded like a pleasurable, peaceful plan but on Monday in reality it was quite the opposite.  I found it difficult to relax and find a groove in a slower run.  I felt as though I was fighting myself the entire run and it wore me out!  I tried focusing on my breath but it just never felt comfortable.  It felt like swimming upstream.

I ended my run at Pure Austin, a gym that I'm a member of but rarely set foot in the door, let's just say it's not my kind of place.  But in need of kettlebells, I was willing to suck it up and face that uncomfortable feeling I get everytime I walk through the doors of this place.  The kettlebells are located in an area with dumbells, bosu balls, foam rollers and medicine balls.  It's a small space and it was fairly crowded with people stretching, doing abs, dumbbells and a trainer with his client, no one was touching the kettlebells.  I grabbed a 20 lber and headed for the far back corner of the room.  I decided to stand in front of a mirror to observe my form as a learning tool which was very helpful as I discovered that for the most part my form is actually really good.  I pumped out 15 sumo deadlift high pulls, then 15 kettlebell pass through lunges and ended with 21 kettlebell swings.  After running 3 miles, my legs were a little noodle-like during the lunges so for round 2 I decided to shift to just holding the kettlebell at my chest.  3 rounds was enough to keep this workout light so I stopped there and walked home enjoying the cool evening breeze.

Tuesday night I did my usual vinyasa class at Black Swan and it was really nice.  A good counter to my run and kettlebell workout from the night before.

Fuel for the past 2 days:

Monday:

Breakfast 7:45 a.m.
3 egg whites
1/2 c chopped green pepper and onion
1/4 c chopped baby bella shrooms

Snack 10:30 a.m
1/2 Chocolate Hazelnut Larabar

Lunch 12:00 p.m.
1 slice of Paleo Meatloaf
1/2 cup sauteed zucchini and carrots

Snack 3:30 p.m.
1/2 c canteloupe
1 oz prosciutto
splash of basalmic vinegar

Dinner 8:45 p.m.
1 slice Paleo Meatloaf
arugula salad with lemon juice and olive oil
1/4 c Coconut Bliss Dark Chocolate

Tuesday:

Breakfast 8:00 a.m.
3 egg whites
1/2 c chopped green pepper and onion
1/4 c chopped baby bella shrooms

Snack 10:30 a.m.
1/2 Key Lime Pie Larabar

Lunch 12:00 p.m.
1 slice of Paleo Meatloaf
1/2 c sauteed zucchini and carrots

Snack 4:00 p.m.
1/2 c canteloupe
1 oz prosciutto

Dinner 8:45 p.m.
3.5 oz oven baked salmon
Spring green salad with spinach, beets, cucumbers and carrots
1/4 c Coconut Bliss Dark Chocolate


In case you wonder why I eat prosciutto everyday for a snack, here's why:

Nutrition
A serving of two slices (roughly one ounce) of Prosciutto di Parma® contains about 75 calories
6 grams of protein
6 grams of fat, roughly two-thirds of it the “good” unsaturated kind.

Because Prosciutto di Parma® has almost no carbohydrates, it is a wonderful choice for low-carb dieters. Endurance athletes such as bicycle racers and soccer players, in Italy and elsewhere, use Prosciutto di Parma® as an energy booster because it contains free amino acids, a “quick metabolizing” form of protein. Prosciutto di Parma® is also a good source of many B-vitamins, especially thiamin, and contains 500 milligrams sodium per serving.

A Source Of Energy
It is the free amino acids in Prosciutto di Parma® that provide the “quick energy” needed by mountain climbers, bicycle racers and other athletes. The metabolic process of neoglucogenesis converts amino acids to glucose, the body’s main source of energy. The sodium content helps replace lost electrolytes during endurance activities. And, because Prosciutto di Parma® is a cured meat with a relatively low moisture content, it can be carried on long hikes and climbs without fear of spoilage.

A Highly Digestible Food
Prosciutto di Parma® is valued by Italians as a protein source that is easily digestible.
During curing, proteolytic enzymes break down the long protein molecules into smaller molecules called amino acids. The high content of free amino acids is the main reason why Prosciutto di Parma® is so digestible.

Prosciutto di Parma® is nearly always served in very thin slices. It is, therefore, easy to chew and the digestive enzymes can go to work quickly and efficiently to break down the protein for absorption.

About Production

For centuries, Prosciutto di Parma® or Parma Ham®—the names are interchangeable—has been prized for its enticing aroma and incomparable flavor. By law this famous ham can be made and cured only in the gently rolling countryside near Parma, Italy.

Four ingredients are essential to the production of Prosciutto di Parma®: Italian pigs, salt, air and time. Prosciutto di Parma® is an all-natural ham--additives such as sugar, spices, smoke, water and nitrites are prohibited.

Making a Parma Ham® is a long and painstaking process. The curing is controlled carefully so that the ham absorbs only enough salt to preserve it. By the end, a trimmed ham will have lost more than a quarter of its weight through moisture loss, helping to concentrate the flavor. The meat becomes tender and the distinctive aroma and flavor of Prosciutto di Parma® emerge.

No comments:

Post a Comment